Monday 30 November 2015

Team Twist - Neptune design

With the Neptune design we didn't really know what we wanted to have, so at the beginning we have explored various designs and approaches.
Below I have produced some silhouettes that later would be used as a starting point for our Neptune design. As far as the reference I have looked at various mythological paintings, pictures and character description and also at multiple movies such as Pirates of Caribbean.

As you can see we have explored quite a lot of different designs. I have painted both humanoid characters as well as insects and more generic fantasy creatures.
Once this stage was finished we have chosen no. 3. From this point on I have started producing various sketches based on the silhouette.

Based on the silhouette above I have produced various sketches for the Neptune character. I really enjoyed this process, because I had a lot of freedom and I was able to explore many different styles and concepts. During this phase I imagined Neptune as a rotting, chubby looking character with tendency to sit in one place, or even being chained to the wall. He  was supposed to be big, grumpy and have a strong appearance. Although I found number 8 really appealing to me, my team decided that we want to go with number 5.

In this stage I have started to explore different heads for the Neptune. I have extensively looked at the reference that I have mentioned previously. This was fun process and I really tried to make all the faces different from each other.


And here's the final illustration. I have used quite a lot of different colors on the character, and I think it worked quite well. Although he does not look quite as angry as I'd imagine him he still looks appealing. I have intentionally left out painting lower body, due to the fact that this won't be visible in game. Neptune will be half way in the water so I saw no point in painting legs. I really enjoyed working on this piece.
Neptune definitely looks unique and although he does not resemble the mythological picture of him, I still think he will fit well with our game idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment